Thursday, July 30, 2020

Identifying finches/warblers and Google's image identification software

American Goldfinch

From a distance

The wings
I spotted an American Goldfinch today during my morning walk. Check out more about them here.

Naturally, I was excited and wanted to photograph it, knowing well that finches/warblers are not cooperative subjects and in fact are among the toughest to photograph given their size and habits (they are small and very fast). Don't get mistaken by the size of the photograph -- I used a 12X50 High Power Magnification Monocular Telescope to get that picture.

But the point is this -- Google's image matching software was a disappointment. It identified my image as an Eurasian Golden Oriole. I have seen orioles frequently in India and at least know that they are much larger in size and have different features than finches/warblers. Their algorithm needs fixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment