Sunday, May 3, 2020

Homemade cream cheese and spinach ravioli without a pasta maker

Being a non-Italian, trying to make ravioli at home from scratch made me somewhat apprehensive. The process is elaborate at best -- but something told me, it'd be worth the effort.  Examining a few youtube videos made me feel more comfortable, but I did not have a pasta maker at hand. So my skills in making Indian recipes (chappatis) came handy, except they needed to be ultra thin -- almost like roomali roti (for those unfamiliar with this term -- it means a chappati as soft as a handkerchief).

So here are some visuals from first experiment.



Cream cheese and spinach filling

Ravioli rolled without a pasta maker and cut using a simple kitchen knife. I have to work on the shapes -- that will be the focus next time.

                                 Thankful they did not disintegrate when boiled.


Nice and soft.

The final product. Had a sauce made from onions, tomatoes and peanuts -- an Indian touch to the whole dish. Also some green onions and coriander leaves to spruce it up.

Since my family is willing to be guinea pigs again, I assume it was a successful experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment